Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What The Heck Should We Have For Dinner?!

That's exactly what I typed into the Google search box (minus the punctuation). Don't you ever feel like this? Sometimes I just get in a rut, or I simply just hate food. And for some reason, when I'm racking my brain to come up with dinner, the only things that come to mind are: tacos, chili, taco salad, enchiladas, fajitas, chicken enchiladas, or eggs and what Justin calls Super Pancakes (I'll post the recipe sometime). Boy, what a repertoire! Mexican and breakfast. Those must be my comfort foods or something.

We just had chicken fajitas last night, and I don't want anything with ground beef in it, seeing as how the majority of what I made last week contained that ingredient, so I had to go back to the drawing board, so to speak. I have a picky husband, didn't think far enough in advance to take some of the larger cuts of meat out of the freezer, and I'm pregnant, so that complicates matters. I forced my brain to think harder about things we like, and either everything sounded yucky, was too much work, required a trip to the store, or it was too much like something we'd eaten recently. Urgh! What to do?!

That's when I visited all-knowing Google. But did I find anything? Heck, no! I did find a good blog on the Woman's Day website, but if I was going to attempt to make any of the dishes posted there, I would need to go to the store, something I really don't want to do (I just love packing all my kids in and out of the car and the store just to get one or two things, don't you?). And none of the other choices really yielded any results. I'm sure other people have asked themselves the above question a time or two--why can't they be responsible citizens and post blogs containing the above words so desperate people like me can get dinner ideas? I mean, come on! :)

I finally went to Allrecipes and visited my recipe box, which is usually full of dessert recipes, so I wasn't expecting much (I mean, I would love to eat dessert for dinner, but that's not too nutritious. . .). To my surprise, at some point, I had actually picked some recipes besides dessert ones at some point! Good thinking, me! I scrolled down and found a few quiche recipes! Yes! I have a pie crust in the freezer! We haven't had an egg-based dish too recently! I have cauliflower I can sub for broccoli! We have cheese! We don't have cream on hand, but we have sour cream, which one of the recipes calls for! We have hash browns, which one recipe uses instead of pie crust. That sounds yummy! I love you, Allrecipes!

So here's what I'm going to make tonight, with a couple of substitutions! I'll let you know how it turns out. . .

Broccoli Hash Brown Quiche
Submitted to Allrecipes by Joy Vincent

Joy says that she likes to vary this quiche by adding ham or bacon sometimes.
Ingredients:
3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 1/2 cups frozen broccoli cuts, thawed
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup shredded Colby-Monterrey Jack cheese

Directions:
Press the hash browns onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-inch pie plate, forming a shell. Sprinkle with broccoli. In a bowl, beat the eggs, sour cream and salt; stir in cheese. Pour over broccoli. Bake at 350 degrees F for 55-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.

Note: A couple of reviewers suggested baking the hash browns for about 10-12 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients.

No comments: