Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dinner Update

I'm sure you've all been waiting with baited breath (ha, ha) to hear how our desperate dinner attempt (post below) turned out. . .

It was pretty good! I doubled the recipe (in a 9X13 pan) and substituted the head of cauliflower I had sitting in the fridge for the broccoli; I just made sure it was in smallish pieces before using it. I also used cheddar cheese and added a little onion and black pepper. In addition, I lightly salted the hashbrowns and baked them for about 10-12 minutes, as suggested. My casserole took about 10 minutes less to fully bake (my new oven--a story for another time--seems to be a little hot) than the lowest suggested time. I liked the casserole, and I thought the cauliflower complemented the different flavors nicely. My kids liked it OK, and Justin, after dousing it in hot chili sauce, pronounced it "edible," as in, "I'd eat in again, but I wouldn't ask for it." I think it would be even better with some nice chopped ham or a little bacon in the future. The recipe seems to be something that you can enjoy as is or use as a springboard for additional ideas.

Ah, the joys of dinner done! Unfortunately, there's always tomorrow. . .

No comments: