Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Everyday Food Storage

I am a big fan of having things in storage that my family will actually eat, and making it part of our daily lives, as I'm sure all of you are, too! If there were a financial emergency, a several-day power outage, or a natural disaster, I hope that I could still feed my family things they are familiar with, and do it well. Thinking about the different situations we could find ourselves in cause me to re-evaluate what we have in our storage and think about what we should be storing. We're doing pretty well in some areas, but not so great in others.

I was Googling for Texas Tumblers--you know, those indestructible plastic glasses that came in all kinds of funky colors, and that you always see at the old diners or Mexican restaurants--and realized that they are pretty hard to find. I happened to find a blog that mentioned them (they went to Smith and Edwards and couldn't find them). But the blog also talked about a website they had found that helped you learn how to use your food storage more effectively and use it everyday! I really would like to learn more--I always like to hear new ideas or new applications of principles. I also found some ideas for kids and General Conference (always looking for those, too) and some cool recipes (with videos). I didn't spend a ton of time at the site, but I'm planning on going back to see what I can learn. Here's the link if you're interested:



I also have a cool book that a lady named Karen Gilmore ("The Wheat Lady") has put together to sell after she does Enrichment presentations on using food storage. She has recipes that use more of your long-term items like wheat, honey, beans, dry milk, and things like that. (Justin is really wary of the "bean fudge!") I think it's going to take me awhile to get to the point she's at, though--she sprouts her wheat to use in snack mixes, makes her own hot cereal, and uses her hard beans in all kinds of things (like the above-mentioned fudge). I'm still stuck on using canned beans. I guess I need a little more motivation and time! Anyway, if you have any food storage ideas you love, books you like, or websites you enjoy, post it in the comments--I would love to hear about it, and we could all use some more ideas in that area!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy the different blogs about food storage that are out there. I'm trying to do better in that department as well. (Lots of room for improvement!!!)

I was going to ask you, where did you get that wheat cookbook? I would love to get one.

Mommy West said...

I have two extra books, if you'd like one. I originally purchased one for my parents, but now my mom is gluten-intolerant, so I don't think I'll be giving it to her. . .
Anyway, you're welcome to it anytime! Just let me know.

Anonymous said...

I just realized that I never got back with you on this....I would love that book if you still have it. I'm not sure when we are going to be out that way next. Thanks so much for offering.