Sunday, September 11, 2011

Scattering Sunshine. . .On Me

It never fails: whenever I'm grumpy, slightly or otherwise, God sends me a reminder/bright spot. I'm sure I miss the significance of some of them when I'm super-grumpy. Thank heavens today I didn't miss it. While shopping slightly-grumpily at Dick's in Bountiful while two of the girls were at ballet, the sweetest older gentleman kept trying to make friends with Rebecca. She is pretty shy around strangers--she usually just puts on her serious face and looks in another direction. I smiled at him, and then continued checking out. He hobbled slowly out to his car, and I sped off another direction to get everybody buckled back in and the groceries unloaded so we could get back to the ballet school in time. As I unloaded the last child from the cart, the sweet man hobbled over and offered to take my cart back to the store for me. "You have enough to keep you busy right now," he said. Bent with age and moving slowly, he took the cart from me with a smile, and I thanked him twice. I was so touched by his desire to be of service and his respect for my calling as a mother. He was a true gentleman, in every sense of the word. Thank you, Heavenly Father, for people like that, and for reminding me to look outside my to-do list for small ways to bring sunshine into someone's life.


No comments: